Colas Rail Algeria carried out the repair and replacement of the escalators of extension B of the Algiers Metro for its client, the Entreprise du Métro d’Alger. The four stations that make up extension B of the Algiers Metro include a total of 24 escalators, 8 of which needed to be repaired and 5 completely replaced. The project was carried out over a period of two years, with final delivery in May 2021.
2019, beginning of the escalator repair works
The first phase of the project, which included the repair of 8 escalators, was carried out from July 1st, 2019 to February 28th, 2020. On this project, Colas Rail worked with the company MP to complete all maintenance operations, both corrective and preventive, namely:
- Checking the condition and operation of all the escalator equipment, as well as the electrical cabinet
- Troubleshooting the stationary escalators
- Replacing the defective components (mechanical and/or electrical) with new ones
- Upgrading the wiring
- Adjusting the mechanical components to ensure proper operation of the escalators, and avoid premature wear
- Cleaning the escalators
- Training the operator’s maintenance staff to allow them to easily carry out the maintenance of the escalators
- At the end of February 2020, Colas Rail was therefore able to deliver, with a high level of quality, all escalators to the Entreprise du Métro d’Alger.
2020-2021, complete replacement of five escalators
The second phase of the project included the removal and installation of five escalators.
Colas Rail Algeria selected SCHINDLER Morocco to supply the new escalators. The works were carried out in two phases. First, in June 2020, the teams from Colas Rail Algeria dismantled all internal equipment and electrical cabinets. Due to the worldwide outbreak of COVID-19, the closure of borders in Europe, Algeria and Morocco, and the necessary travel permits, SCHINDLER’s Moroccan teams could only arrive in Algeria in mid-January 2021. The removal, assembly and installation of the new escalators therefore ran from February to May 2021.
“At Colas Rail Algeria, we have teams of highly trained technicians who have contributed their skills to our client in order to deliver fully functional escalators,” explains Yves TARIDEC, Director of Colas Rail Algeria. We are proud to participate in this project, which will greatly improve the accessibility of the metro for all of the capital’s inhabitants.“